Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What it means to be a hipster.

I'm particularly influenced to write this because of a short blurb I read today on 

Basically yelp.com has a feature where people can identify if a bar has too many hipsters. And the problem with that, of course, is that if there are too many hipsters, you'll obviously be surrounded by the most pretentious people you've ever met.

Right?

What is with us and our obsession with creating names or yes, I'm gonna say it, labels for people that we think dress, eat, or act a certain way?

The comment in Gawker made it a point to mention how ridiculous it is to apply the term to every skinny guy wearing thick glasses. Ok, true, but that's neither here nor there. Why apply the term to anyone? Some of the most amazing people I know are considered in one way or another to be a "hipster." 

Like any group of people, you're going to find the few that embrace the label and go out of their way to act out the actions of the stereotype, which makes it harder to not label them in the first place. But come on. 

The urban dictionary definition of a hipster is really " a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers" is that really such a bad thing? 

I know this, I love to read about fashion, but sometimes the photos of thinner than life models make me feel fat, when I'm far from it. And sometimes I feel like I won't truly be cool unless I own whatever type of bag is being advertised not-so-subtly as the Spring 2011 trend. 
I won't pretend that I don't follow fashion, I find it endlessly intriguing, especially it's psychological effects, but I wear what I like, whether it's "in" or not. 

Maybe it's not such a bad idea to be a little "hipster" and stop letting other opinions affect our own. Some people are really good at this from the get-go, but me, not so much. It takes practice. 


It takes being insulted, coming home and crying about it, but then going out wearing the same thing anyway because YOU like it. 

I guess it's kind of fitting that the ones doing the labeling, the "anti-hipsters", are the people who are  judging these bars. The hipsters probably don't really care and will continue to go where they like anyway.







1 comment:

Steve said...

Well said, do what you want and let the chips fall where they may. I feel like it may be asking a lot for a high school student where there is a lot more pressure to conform; however, afterwords, its time for everyone to develop their own mentalities, beliefs, and styles. At that point, its just a matter of maturity and priorities, leading to a realization of what really matters in life.